Thursday, March 18, 2010

Studio 3A: Task 3; The 11th Hour reflection

Reflection Week 4 19‐3‐10 Desmond Yiu 3255638

The 11th Hour



The thing i noticed at the start was the huge rush of negative energy flowing from my screen and
slapping me in the face. It showed natural disasters, disasters from human activity, famine, hunger, deforestation, effects of global warming, our industrial impacts and many more very negative scenes. This very much woke me up and made me think about all these issues.

The topic of where we came from, our origins also touched me. One of the people talked about how our civilisation used to live off the land, using sunlight as our energy source. This source warmed us and allowed our food sources to grow. However it all went downhill when we found ‘pockets of ancient sunlight’; fossil fuels. The use of these saw our rapid expansion and led to our huge impact on the earth. Now we are totally dependent on oil. Everything we do has oil in it, from our cars, to the plastic wrapping that wraps our food imported on a boat from another country. This really touched me as, although i knew, i never really put much thought into it.

The discussion then lead to how we humans are heating the atmosphere and how it creates climate change. It really scared me when a man said hurricane Katrina was only the prologue and disasters of this size would become more constant in the future.

“At the end of the day when we all talk about ‘saving the environment’ in a way it’s misstated because the environment will survive, we’re the ones that may not survive” “As we destroy nature, we will be destroyed in the process”

These two quotes moved me. I actually never thought harming the environment would come around to harm us.

“we created our habitat, we don’t need nature, we have been focusing on the economy..” “probably the greatest weapon of mass destruction is corporate economic globalisation”

These also struck a cord. We are so bound by the economy we lose sight of what’s actually
important.

“ones organisms waste is another’s food, this is the ideal model of the industrial system” “imagine designing a building like a tree”

With current technology we can cut our global carbon footprint by 90%. The idea of designing
buildings like trees and cities like forest was amazing. I could envision this happening and it lookedso beautiful to me.

This video was a great watch, thoroughly enjoyed it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i'll bet you enjoyed it thouroughly des.

Daniel Tang said...

The thing I found with this is that they are using so much negativity to try and persuade us that there is something wrong, almost scaring us to try and make us believe.....even so, the documentary was entertaining to watch and did not leave me empty but I dont think it will have an impact on me anytime soon.